Upon completion of these requirements, you will earn the designation Board Certified in Neurofeedback or BCN™.
This opportunity is reserved for a select group of licensed professionals who can demonstrate extensive education and experience and have served as leaders through their various contributions to the field. We recognize that these professionals have training that goes beyond entry level and should be expected to fulfill requirements that go far beyond our traditional neurofeedback certification process.
Applications for BCIA Certification by Prior Experience are only for those licensed health care professionals who can demonstrate all of the following:
- License/Credential for independent practice - A current license/credential issued by the state in which you practice is required. This license/credential must be from one of the following clinical health care fields: psychology, nursing (including two-year registered nurses with license, not LVNs or LPNs), physical therapy, occupational therapy, social work, counseling, rehabilitation, chiropractic, recreational therapy, physician's assistant (with certification or license), exercise physiology, speech pathology, or sports medicine.
- The following fields require a Master’s degree: music therapy and counseling education (M.Ed. in counseling). Appropriately-credentialed doctors of medicine are also accepted.
- Accredited post-professional education - A minimum of 100 hours is required with courses that completely cover the 36 hours of BCIA Blueprint of Knowledge statements. The remaining 64 hours may be completed by a BCIA-approved continuing education venue in any blueprint area(s). We require that the majority of these hours be within the past 10 years.
- Accredited continuing education refers to: courses taken from regionally-accredited academic institutions, courses accredited by the national body of a BCIA-accepted health care profession (APA, AMA, etc.), or workshops given at the following recognized organization’s annual meetings: AAPB, BFE, and ISNR.
- 3,000 patient hours over at least 5 years - This stipulation requires relevant experience which reflects using neurofeedback and is substantiated with your written statement of clinical practice and letters of recommendation which support your statement. Please refer to the samples of a written statement of practice and recommendation letter.
- Human anatomy/physiology coursework or other submission that formally demonstrates understanding the relation and function of bodily systems used in your specific neurofeedback applications.
- Mentoring with another professional for at least 25 contact hours that demonstrates a formal guidance in learning the application of clinical skills.
Upon approval of your application, you will have 1 year to make arrangements to take the written exam to be used for validation purposes. You may take the exam at any of the scheduled exam sites or may use the special exam option of an outside university or public library proctor for $100 for the paper/pencil or $25 for the online exam option. We are using your expertise to validate current and new exam items.