To qualify for certification by prior experience (CPE), you must meet or exceed all four of the neurofeedback certification requirements below:
You have earned a master's-level or higher degree in any field.
You have learned the theory and practice of neurofeedback through one or a combination of the criteria below:
Mentoring for Skill Development
You have spent a minimum of 10 contact hours with a BCIA-approved mentor to learn basic equipment function, placements, and personal self-regulation skills.
You have a minimum of 3,000 hours of relevant experience with neurofeedback-related instruction and/or research over at least five years. It is required that the majority of this work be done within the past 10 years. You may use the following guide to total your hours.
Four total hours for each classroom instruction hour (demonstrated by roster or other teaching assignment documentation)
Accredited Workshops and Conference Presentations
Four total hours for each presentation hour. Course content must be Blueprint-specific, excluding commercial courses that are based on specific equipment sales. Only 1,000 hours of equipment workshops may count towards this total. Workshops must be varied in nature. All work must be Blueprint-specific.
- Book authored: 500 hours (demonstrated by publication)
- Book edited: 300 hours (demonstrated by publication)
- Book chapter: 100 hours (demonstrated by publication)
- Peer-Reviewed Journal article writing: 40 hours as first author, 20 hours as second author, 10 hours as third author, and 5 hours as fourth or higher author (demonstrated by published article and citation)
- Research design: 10 hours (demonstrated by the published article and citation OR grant submission)
- Research supervision: 1/4 hour per RA hour (demonstrated by published article and citation OR student roster)
- Dissertation on relevant topic: 200 hours (demonstrated by published dissertation and citation)
- Dissertation Committee on relevant topic: 50 hours (demonstrated by student dissertation publication OR student roster)