How Can I Become Recertified in Biofeedback?
Please note the following changes to the Recertification program:
- BCIA now only requires 48 hours of accredited continuing education (to include 3 hours of ethics/professional standards).
- If you are dual certified (meaning you carry more than 1 BCIA certification), your second recertification fee is reduced to $175 for the first deadline, and then will go up $25 each time period. (This refers to those who are also currently certified in either PMDB or Neurofeedback.) Every other recertification fee will be reduced by $50..
Candidates for recertification must complete 48 hours of accredited continuing education related to the Blueprint (Senior Fellows only 30 hours), relevant to biofeedback and/or the disorder you may be treating with the majority of your hours being biofeedback-specific. You may download and print off the form and because it is in a pdf format, you can even fill it out and then save it to resend to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a link to the Biofeedback Recertification Application.
Senior Fellows are only required to document 30 hours of accredited CE and may use this printable recertification form.
Individuals certified in both General and Neurofeedback may use CE credits from accredited providers for recertification in both programs.
Technicians must complete 30 hours of accredited continuing education to include 3 hours of ethics/professional standards and may recertify using the printable recertification form.
All certificants are required to abide by the BCIA Professional Standards and Ethical Principles. Three of the required hours must be related to ethics and professional standards. If for any reason you are unable to complete the continuing education, you may take the written certification exam.
Please refer to this fee schedule:
1st recertification: January 1 – June 30: $225
July 1 – October 31: $250
After November 1: $275
Dual recertification: January 1 – June 30: $175
July 1 – October 31: $200
After November 1: $225
You may wish to print off the appropriate form, complete and submit it by US mail, and include a check payable in US funds to BCIA - 5310 Ward Rd, #201 - Arvada CO 80002.
If you wish to complete the form and email it to us, you may pay your fees online using these links: Payment Options
*All fees are non-refundable.
How to Fulfill your CE Requirements
Additional recent changes you may wish to note:
- Online Continuing Education:
- BCIA webinars – one can attend a 90-minute online presentation from the Clinical Update Series and complete an evaluation and quiz to earn 1.5 hours of ce toward recertification. BCIA also offers Mentoring webinars which allow one to earn 1 hour of ce toward recertification. Webinars may be attended live or through the recordings.
- Online articles and quizzes are available for 1 hour of ce.
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are free educational opportunities providing courses and instructors from many top universities. If you find a course you are interested in for either your human anatomy/physiology requirement OR for CE credit toward recertification, please send us all the information and we'll let you know if your option will be accepted. Check them out!
- Formal Mentoring - A maximum of 20 hours of formal mentoring may be used as part of your required ce. This work must be done by a BCIA-approved mentor selected using the same parameters as when seeking original certification. Additionally, the work done must be logged and signed off by both the mentor and the candidate using this form.
- Ethics/professional Conduct - 3 hours of accredited ethics or professional conduct work is required.
- Exam Item Construction - you may earn credit for authoring exam items that are tied to a source from the core reading list. Each item must have a stem, 1 correct answer, and 3 distractors. Please use this form to transmit the exam items electronically to BCIA. Each item submitted is worth .5 hours of CE and up to 20 hours for recertification may be completed in this way.
- Previously you were required to complete 25 hours of elective continuing education in addition to the accredited hour requirements. That is no longer required; however it is still recommended that you continue to study and learn more in your field through reading and other non-accredited activities.