How Can I Become Recertified in Neurofeedback?
Please note the following changes to the 2014 Recertification program:
- BCIA now only requires 48 hours of accredited continuing education (to include 3 hours of ethics/professional standards).
- If you are dual certified, your second recertification fee is reduced to $175 for the first deadline, and then will go up $25 each time period. (This refers to those who are also currently certified in biofeedback or PMDB.)
Online Recertification Form or Printable Recertification Form
Candidates for recertification must complete 48 hours (30 hours for Senior Fellows) of accredited continuing education related to the blueprint relevant to biofeedback and/or the disorder you may be treating with the majority of your hours being neurofeedback-specific. Senior fellows may use the online or the printable recertification form. Individuals certified in both General and Neurofeedback may use CE credits from accredited providers for recertification in both programs.
Technicians must complete 30 hours of accredited continuing education to include 3 hours of ethics/professional standards and may recertify using the printable recertification form.
All certificants are required to abide by the BCIA Professional Standards and Ethical Principles.
Three of the required hours must be related to ethics and professional standards, and the 25 hours of elective continuing education are no longer required; however, we do encourage you to continue to read and study good materials that are outside of the accredited work. If for any reason you are unable to complete the continuing education, you may take the written certification exam.
How to Fulfill your CE Requirements
Recent changes you may wish to note:
- Online Continuing Education:
- BCIA webinars – one can attend a 90-minute online presentation and complete an evaluation and quiz to earn 1.5 hours of ce toward recertification. BCIA also offers Mentoring webinars which allow one to earn 1 hour of ce toward recertification. Webinars may be attended live or through the recordings.
- Online articles and quizzes are available for 1 hour of ce.
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are free educational opportunities providing courses and instructors from many top universities. If you find a course you are interested in for either your human anatomy/physiology requirement OR for CE credit toward recertification, please send us all the information and we'll let you know if your option will be accepted. Check them out!
- Formal Mentoring - A maximum of 20 hours of formal mentoring may be used as part of your required ce. This work must be done by a BCIA-approved mentor selected using the same parameters as when seeking original certification. Additionally, the work done must be logged and signed off by both the mentor and the candidate using this form.
- Ethics/professional Conduct - 3 hours of accredited ethics or professional conduct work is required.
- Previously you were required to complete 25 hours of elective continuing education in addition to the accredited hour requirements. That is no longer required; however it is still recommended that you continue to study and learn more in your field through reading and other non-accredited activities.