Overview of Requirements - Certification at a Glance
This opportunity is reserved for a select group of licensed health care professionals who can demonstrate extensive education and experience, and have served as leaders through their various contributions to the field. We recognize that these professionals have education, training, and experience that goes beyond entry level and should be expected to fulfill requirements that go far beyond our traditional certification process.
Applications for BCIA Certification by Prior Experience are only for those who can demonstrate all of the following:
- License/Credential for independent practice - A current license/credential issued by the state in which you practice is required. This license/credential must be from one of the following clinical health care fields: psychology, medicine, dentistry, nursing (including 2-year registered nurses with license; not LVNs or LPNs), physical therapy, respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, social work, counseling, rehabilitation, chiropractic, recreational therapy, dental hygiene, physician's assistant (with certification or license), exercise physiology, speech pathology, or sports medicine.
- Accredited post-professional education - A minimum of 100 hours is required with courses that completely cover the 42-hours of BCIA Blueprint of Knowledge statements. The remaining 58 hours may be completed by taking courses at an accredited continuing education venue related to any blueprint area(s). We require that the majority of these hours be within the past 10 years. Accredited continuing education refers to: courses taken from regionally-accredited academic institutions, courses accredited by the national body of a BCIA-accepted health care profession (e.g., APA, AMA), or workshops given at the following recognized organization’s annual meetings: AAPB, BFE, and ISNR.
- 3,000 patient hours over at least 5 years - This requirement is to document relevant biofeedback experience using any of the following biofeedback modalities: EMG, thermal, skin conductance, HRV, and/or respiration. This experience must be substantiated with your written statement of clinical practice and letters of recommendation that support your statement. Please refer to the samples of a written statement of practice and recommendation letter.
- Human anatomy/physiology coursework or other submission that formally demonstrates understanding the relation and function of bodily systems used in your specific biofeedback applications.
- Mentoring with another professional for at least 25 contact hours that demonstrates a formal guidance in learning the application of clinical skills. This was to be accomplished when you were first learning to add this modality to your clinical work.
- Validation Exam must be completed once your application has been accepted and approved. There is no expected pass score. We will use the information gathered on a "per item" basis to provide psychometric data.
BCIA welcomes appropriately licensed/credentialed health care professionals from any country or region outside the United States and Canada. Until such time as a country or region forms a BCIA affiliate organization (a la Australia), then BCIA will require all applicants for certification who reside outside the US or Canada to demonstrate that they have a license to practice in an approved health profession in the country where they reside. Degrees earned outside the United States must be translated and evaluated by an organization that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at www.naces.org.
**If you have a license from a field such as medicine or psychology and your credential is in English, you do NOT need to submit evaluated transcripts for this.
BCIA offers a structured fee schedule to suit the financial realities in different countries and regions. Please use this link to see if your country may use a different fee structure. As you will notice, both the filing fee and the certification fees have been combined into one. Please contact BCIA at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the fees.
Filing An Application
If this is your second BCIA certification (in addition to either the BCIA Neurofeedback or PMDB), the total fees for dual or your 2nd BCIA certification are $225.
How to Navigate Through This Menu
Now that you have reviewed Basic Requirements, you may review the Application, Application Instructions, Sample Statement of Practice and Letter of Recommendation, and Information and Fee Schedule.