BCIA requires certificants to complete 48 hours of accredited continuing education across each 4-year period that their biofeedback or neurofeedback certification is valid. The PMDB requirement is 36 hours across a 3-year certification span. All recertification applications require completion of a minimum of 3 hours of ethics or professional conduct course work as part of the CE requirements.
There are many ways to earn continuing education credits for recertification. All courses must be accredited and blueprint relevant. BCIA uses the term accredited to refer to courses offered by universities who are regionally accredited, approved by a national professional health care organization such as the AMA, APA, etc., or BCIA accredited.
BCIA Options: There are several ways to gain continuing education. BCIA offers 3 different options:
- Reading selected articles and taking a short quiz. Each completed quiz offers you 1 hour of accredited ce. Here is a full list of exam articles.
- BCIA Webinars: There are 2 types of webinars: The Clinical Update Series provides information on a specific topic of interest and provides 90 minutes of accredited CE. The Mentoring webinars provide 90 minutes of accredited ce for those who are looking for recertification credits. New applicants will earn 1 contact hour and 2 case study presentations toward their initial certification requirements. Please refer to this helpful FAQ page for more information. International attendees are eligible for reduced fees for live attendance or recorded webinars. All countries are divided into 4 categories, based on the World Psychiatric Association's groupings. Read more...
***Please note - purchasing these products online is not an instant process. Staff must review and finalize the web order and we ask that you allow 1 - 2 days to receive email confirmation with the link to your CE.
- Attending a live webinar and completing an online evaluation and exam.
- Viewing the recorded session and completing an online evaluation and exam.
Catalogs of Webinar Recordings - To make it easier, we have compiled catalogs so that you can review what is available.
Biofeedback Clinical Update Recordings
Biofeedback Mentoring Recordings
Neurofeedback Clinical Update Recordings
Neurofeedback Mentoring Recordings
HRV Biofeedback - both Clinical Update and Mentoring Recordings
Professional Standards Recordings
- MOOCs - Massive Open Online Courses - these are free online courses, no not a typo, taught by some of the top university professors with a wide array of topics. We've found several on human anatomy, neuroscience, etc. Please check to be sure that you will receive some proof of CE credit at the end. We have learned that a few of the courses don't provide you with any proof of completion and this is required as proof of completion. Of particular notice are the following:
- Medical Neuroscience offered by Duke
- the University of Chicago offers Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life
- Anatomy: Human Neuroanatomy offered by the University of Michigan
Let us know if you find some that were particularly helpful!
- Exam Writing - you may earn credit for authoring exam items that are tied to a source from the core reading list. Each item must have a stem, 1 correct answer, and 3 distractors. Please use this form to transmit the exam items electronically to BCIA. Each item submitted is worth .5 hours of CE and up to 20 hours for recertification may be completed in this way.
BCIA Accredited Didactic Training Programs: Many of the accredited didactic training programs also offer short courses and workshops. To review a list of the programs and visit their websites, please use the following links:
- Pelvic Muscle Dysfunction Biofeedback
Membership Organizations: Both AAPB and ISNR offer accredited CE at their annual meetings and both may offer the opportunity of purchasing recordings for any topics you may have missed. AAPB offers webinars.
State/Regional/National Professional Associations: Many of those organizations offer accredited ce to help you maintain licensure. Should you find a course that is accredited by your licensing board and if the topic fits into the appropriate blueprint, this is an excellent way to gain ce for both your license and for your recertification.