Written Certification Exam
The exam may be taken at any time after approval of your application and payment of all fees; however, we recommend it as the last requirement in the certification process. Applications must be on file and approved prior to considering the exam. Fees include:
- $150 filing fee which must be paid at the time the application is submitted. The filing fee will be reduced to $50 if an applicant can document current enrollment in an advanced degree program at a regionally-accredited academic institution in a BCIA-approved health care field.
- $275 certification fee prior to seating for the exam. If this is your second BCIA certification (in addition to either BCIA Neurofeedback or PMDB), the filing fee is the same, but certification fee is reduced to $75).
All fees are non-refundable and must be in US funds and paid by check, money order, or credit card.
The examination is offered in English only and is based on the Blueprint of Knowledge Statements. The exam consists of approximately 100 multiple-choice items sourced from the Core Reading List. The number of exam items from a blueprint area correspond to the number of hours in that rubric; the smaller the rubric, the fewer questions will be in the exam from that content area. There is a 3 -hour time limit for the exam. For more information, please refer to Biofeedback Exam 101.
- The written certification exam may be taken either at one of the scheduled exam sites or through the special exam option which allows a pre-approved candidate to schedule their exam using a university or other approved testing site with a proctor. For more information on how to make arrangements for a special exam, please refer to Special Exam 101.
- Special exams fees: $100 for the paper/pencil version, $50 for online testing software. Please use this payment link for the exam:
Biofeedback Special Exam Option
For those of you who live in or may be traveling to the Denver metro area, you may take your exam at the BCIA office at no additional cost.
- A Core Reading List is provided to aid in preparation for the exam and to reinforce the learning of the science, history, and theory of biofeedback.
- Should you need additional time or special accommodation due to language or other circumstance, please contact the office at email@example.com.
- Upon confirmation of observed cheating behavior, the candidate will be disqualified. The disqualified candidate will be so notified and the respective score(s) disregarded. Readmission for examination will be
considered after a period of two years when the candidate will have to reapply, pay all fees, and acceptance will be contingent upon review of credentials and requirements using criteria for admission applicable at the time of review. The exam must be administered by BCIA staff, either in the home office or at a scheduled exam site such as AAPB or ISNR.