Neurofeedback Written Certification Exam
The exam may be taken at any time after approval of your application and payment of all fees; however, we recommend it as the last requirement in the certification process. Fees include:
- $150 filing fee which must be paid at the time the application is submitted. The filing fee will be reduced to $50 if an applicant can document current enrollment in an advanced degree program at a regionally-accredited academic institution in a BCIA-approved health care field.
- $275 certification fee prior to seating for the exam. If this is your second BCIA certification (in addition to either BCIA Biofeedback or PMDB), the filing fee is the same, but certification fee is reduced to $75).
- Special Exam Fees as appropriate.
All fees are non-refundable and must be in US funds and paid by check, money order, or credit card.
Language: The examination is offered in English and European Spanish only and is based on the Blueprint of Knowledge Statements.
Exam Construction: The exam consists of approximately 100 multiple-choice items with only one correct answer. No penalty for guessing. The number of exam items from a blueprint area correspond to the number of hours in that rubric; the smaller the rubric, the fewer questions will be in the exam from that content area. For more information, please refer to Neurofeedback Exam 101.
How Much Time Will It Take? There is a 3-hour time limit for the exam. If you need more time due to identified special needs or English is not your first language, please write to BCIA to request consideration.
How To Study: Please use the Core Reading List is provided to aid in preparation for the exam and to reinforce the learning of the science, history, and theory of neurofeedback.
Where Can I Take The Exam?
- The written certification exam may be taken either at one of the scheduled exam sites.
- The special exam option allows a pre-approved candidate to schedule their exam using a university or other approved testing site with a proctor. For more information on how to make arrangements for a special exam, please refer to Special Exam 101. In order to start the special exam process, the candidate must complete and submit the special exam form with as much information as possible, including the date and the time.
- BCIA now works with an online proctoring service called ExamRoomAI who uses cameras and artificial intelligence to monitor exam security. First file your special exam form and we will tell you how to contact them to register for their services. They require an additional fee. This service allows you to take your exam from anywhere, including your own computer. All international candidates must use this option.
- Special exams fees: $100 for the paper/pencil version, $50 for online testing, and $25 for the ExamRoomAI option. ExamRoomAI will charge a separate $20.
- For those living or wishing to travel to the Denver metro area, you may have your exam proctored in the BCIA office for no additional fee.
- Special needs: Should you need additional time or special accommodation due to language or other circumstance, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Practice Exam: BCIA now offers an online practice exam for neurofeedback in order to give you a sample of multiple-choice questions.
Exam Security: Upon confirmation of observed cheating behavior, the candidate will be disqualified. The disqualified candidate will be so notified and the respective score(s) disregarded. Readmission for examination will be considered after a period of two years when the candidate will have to reapply, pay all fees, and acceptance will be contingent upon review of credentials and requirements using criteria for admission applicable at the time of review. The exam must be administered by BCIA staff, either in the home office or at a scheduled exam site such as AAPB or ISNR.